Monday 4 April 2011

Gretna Green.

Charlie here!


Taking a break!
Just as we got to Scotland, we saw a sign saying Gretna Green. I had heard of this, so we took a little detour off the motorway to check it out. It only took a few minutes and we were there. 






Can you see us stood by the grass? It made us feel very small and it was very scary when a big lorry drove past us on the road.  Roads are very dangerous, so we were very careful not to step off the pavement.


We are a bit closer in this photo, so it may be easier to see us. We wandered around for a bit, hoping to see a beautiful bride, but there wasn't a wedding. Did you know that 1 in 6 weddings in Scotland are at  Gretna green?





In 1753, a very long time ago, a law was made to stop people getting married till they were 21. Some people didn't want to wait that long, so they would run away to Scotland, where they could get married at 14 if they were a boy, and 12 if they were a girl!

Did you see on the photos how sunny it was? I like the sun, it makes me happy :o)







Tiddy got bored of waiting to see a bride, and went exploring. He found this statue of Robbie Burns, a famous poet and song writer. He wrote the song Auld Lang Syne.  I know that song!




So, we are now in Scotland. How exciting! Tiddy will tell you all about  our trip to Glasgow next.


Charlie x




1 comment:

  1. Okay, against my better judgement, I find myself commenting on the antics of two bears. Hello, Tiddy and Charlie. Thanks for your comments on my blog. Say 'hello' to Mrs C for me, won't you. :-)

    ReplyDelete