Wednesday 1 August 2012

Tiddy and The Water Gates!

Hi Everyone,

I'm back to tell you about another brilliant thing we found, when we stayed in the French France beach place called Portiragnes Plage.
It was called the Canal Du Midi. Cos I'm clever at French France talking, I know what Canal is in English words. It's Canal!

Can you see me on the water gate thingy? They call them lock gates.


Canals are very clever, cos they are like rivers that people make. Using the locks, the boats can go up hill. Yes, that's right. Mr.P said that a long time ago, horses would pull huge boats called barges full of stuff, like coal and potatoes along the canals. These days, the boats are full of people on holidays.

The locks are sooooo coooool, cos they can pick the boats up. This is how they work.


There are 2 Lock Gates. So, the boats sail in to the lock through the open one and then wait till the man closes it behind them. Then, he opens the other gate to let the deep water in.









Then, the water picks up the boats so they can sail up the canal.



We saw lots of bridges and boats...














And we even saw a barge turning round in the canal...



It was so funny, cos I thought it was going to get stuck. The barge was nearly as big as the canal!


Out of all the fanteddytastic boats we saw on the Canal Du Midi, this one was Charlies favourite...




I think my favourite thing was watching the boats go under the bridges. I was sure they'd get stuck, but they didn't.

I'll be back soon, to tell you about something else we saw in Portiragnes Plage!

Bye,

Tiddy

2 comments: